Saturday, January 22, 2011

January 24th Newsletter

January 24, 2011

Dear Parents,

Science Fair: The science fair for South Elementary will be on Friday March 25th. The regional science fair will be held on April 6th. I’d encourage your child to participate. Information will be coming home.

Valentine’s Day Party: We will have our class Valentine’s party on Friday, February 11th in the afternoon. I will send home a class list next week. We have 27 students. We are going to celebrate it early because of our Grandparent’s Program on Monday February 14th.

Math: We will continue to work with money and start time as well as review the concepts learned thus far this year.

Spelling: The PTA is holding a Traditional Spelling Bee for our school on Friday April 1st. A word list was sent home on Friday with the students. We’ll do some preliminary testing in class before that day. Please use these lists to help your student practice the spelling words if that is something you’d like your child to do well in.
The spelling words for this next week were taken from the list for the spelling bee. Watch for them to come home today.

Language: We will continue to work with prefixes and suffixes and work with contractions.

Substitute: I will be gone on Friday. Barbara Cowan will be the substitute. The students will be in good hands with her. I’m going to the Utah Association of Gifted Children’s annual conference held this year in Provo. I’m excited to go because I know that I’ll get many ideas that’ll be useful in the classroom.

Reading: I am impressed with how much reading the students are doing at home each week. Reading each night for at least 20 minutes will have a great impact on the progress your child will make in reading. Thanks so much for your help and encouragement in this area.

Grandparents Program: We are working hard with our preparations for the Grandparents Program. Parts are being sent home today stapled onto an Arbor Day Contest information flier. Your child will be saying their part with 1 or 2 more children. These parts need to be memorized by Monday January 31st. Thanks for your help with this. We only have three weeks left but should be ready with no problem. Please see that your child is here each day (unless he/she is sick). We are finalizing our learning these next three weeks as well as finishing projects for the program.
Just a reminder that the program will be on Monday February 14th at 1:30 p.m. in the school gym. Parents, family members and friends are welcome to come in addition to grandparents. However, the focus of the program is on our grandparents.

Arbor Day Poster Contest: Information was sent home today with your student. If you’d like your child to participate, please have entries returned to the school before March 23rd.

Pretend Birthdays: The children who have a birthday during the summer will be able to celebrate their birthday at school with a Pretend Birthday. Following are the days that I have the pretend birthdays scheduled. Please let me know if I need to make changes. You may send treats if you’d like. We have 27 students. Just a reminder that according to ICSD policy, the treats should be purchased from a store. Thanks.

Meghan Case April 26th
Melissa Case April 27th
Prinay Patel April 19th
Ashlyn York February 1st
Hannah Blodgett February 16th
Ryker Hatch February 25th
Braquel Bunker March 15th
Brandon Foley April 5th
Kylie Nielsen March 22nd
Vidhi Patel March 17th

Please let me know if I missed any summer birthdays.


Playmakers at SUU will be holding auditions next week for their upcoming performance. Contact them for further information.

Thanks for all you do.

Sincerely,
Brenda Haight

No comments:

Post a Comment